I'm not listening
Last week we got a sip of the atomic cocktail that is Parliament/Funkadelic/P Funk when we watched a PBS retrospective of the band.
(if you want to check out a really ffffffffffffffffffffunky, hazy, head-bobbing Parliament tune, listen to "The Goose" on Up for the Down Stroke. I mean, what the hell.)
On the subject of music, which, incidentally, is one of my favorite subjects, what is with all the banal lyrics these days. I think we've spiraled down the lyrics drain since the 80s, when we had people like our friends Van Halen telling us to Jump. I mean, you really MIGHT as well jump, for godssake. Now we have songs about "lovely lady lumps." Alliterative, yes. But just bad (like when a friend had a guy tell her he wished for angels on her pillows. What? That's a hit-you-in-the-gut painful statement).
GONE are the times when you're driving around with your friends and someone quietly pipes up with, "Hey - All we are IS dust in the wind, man." And everyone pauses, subtly nodding in agreement. Then you're all silent for a while until someone else asks if you can stop for frozen yogurt.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home