12.21.2005

Now that's class.

The Tacky Award of the Week goes to the red Honda in front of me this morning, whose license plate frame said: "Out of My Way: My Kid Has to Pee." First of all, yikes. Second of all, her child's incontinence really is not my problem. Third of all, I *was* out of her way, as I was behind her.

Separate subject: Some departments at work have gone all out to decorate for the holidays (notice I didn't say Christmas, as there are policies about this). I am particularly disturbed by the influx of snowmen. Most of which I would more accurately describe as slightly sexualized snowpeople. The Frosties with blush, heavy eyeliner and obviously false eyelashes. Cute little earmuffs. What happened to button eyes, coal and a carrot nose? If pop culture has any further influence, by next year we'll be seeing Frostie with stilettos and a push-up bra. A topic for discussion: Should the likes of the Pussycat Dolls sashay their fishnets into the commercial, American holiday tradition? Talk amongst yourselves.

The Hooters finally opened up down the street. Way down the street, thanks to protest among our old neighbors. I'm not categorically opposed to Hooters, I just didn't want it behind my house as it takes the neighborhood class factor down a few notches. Fortunately, it is now right where it belongs, in the same shopping center as the area Wal-Mart. And, in one of life's little ironies, it occupies a space that once belonged to a mattress store.

What is irritating is how Pavlovian Hooters is, with salivating males lining the greasy booths for a peek at a waitress reaching for a nachos basket. It's like Cinemax after 10 p.m. To be fair, to be equal, I want to open a comparable establishment for women. The name of which I won't post here, lest it be stolen (and I don't want to embarrass my mother). But it would be a bachelorette party paradise. Totally not up my alley at all, but I would revel in the complete ridiculousness of it.

(Completely off topic, I still have a tad bit left of bronchitis, and am really getting tired of coughing at night. After one flu and a cold (viral) this year - following incessant hand washing, anti-bacterial gel usage AND a flu shot - I am feeling pretty fed up with being sick. Stress really can have an effect on your health. On similar note, I just read an article in the New England Journal of Medicine detailing a rise in requests by healthy patients in doctor's offices for Tamiflu, so they can stockpile it in case avian flu reaches the U.S. Which has the potential to cause big problems, people. In a pretty large nutshell, aside from incorrect and untimely usage causing mutation of the virus, hoarding of the stuff depletes the supply for legimately infected people. In addition to other ethical issues which I just don't have the energy to discuss right now).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home