1.23.2006

Got it covered

Went to Tahoe this weekend with V's company. I grew up on the beach, so snow intrigues me -- I walked around with that look Darryl Hannah had in Splash when she was out and about above water. Equally intriguing to me were the women who walked around outside the casinos in tank tops and sandals, for godssake. Here we are in a 4-foot snow pack, it's 9 o'clock at night, and they have to hooch it up sans parkas and snow boots. That's testament of what people will do to get attention.

Still reading Garrett's "The Coming Plague" and finding it fascinating, esp. hemorrhagic diseases and their origins. Most people who know me would find it hard to believe that I, of all people, would be able to read about a hemorrhagic disease because I am a complete freak when it comes to blood (and needles. And it's actually just my own blood. I don't mind open cuts and I've observed surgeries, which was incredible to watch). One of the weirdest things about me (if not THE weirdest) is that I hate having my blood drawn, and absolutely have to wear socks while I'm having it done. No bare feet, no sandals. And the tighter the shoes the better. I don't know why this is, but it's been this way for a while and Selene thinks it's the funniest thing on the planet.

A few years ago I had a weird, major dizzy spell in the middle of the night where I couldn't stand or even see because everything was spinning. I tried to get an appointment at the doctor the next day, but they said I had to go to the emergency room right away (liability issues and all). Well, I really didn't want to go because it was a hot spring day and I was wearing sandals. I made the comment to a co-worker that I couldn't go because I didn't have socks on. We worked at the time in a cube farm, and heads started prairie-dogging above the fabric walls. Somehow, my weird idiosyncrasy made its way across the office, but in a completely misunderstood way, as I heard the following murmurs across the office:

"Socks? They make you wear socks at the hospital?"

"I didn't know they made you wear socks at the hospital."

"I think I heard about that. I think for health reasons or something they want you to wear socks."

"Yeah, I read about that in the paper. It's a sanitary thing."

"What if you show up and you don't have socks? Do they give you socks if you don't have any with you? I mean, who carries socks around if they're not on your feet?"

"Maybe insurance pays."

"I'll bet they're standard-issue, white crew socks. I'll bet they mark up the cost of the socks by, like, 300%"

"If they bought them at the swap meet, they'd be sooo cheap."

"How many pairs do you think they give you, like if you're in the hospital for a few days? Do you get to wear them home?"

I didn't have the heart to tell them the truth about the socks.

I made it to the ER, sans socks, and sans a blood draw. Turns out I had "benign postural vertigo." Possibly brought on by the altitude of my new mattress, which was a good foot and a half taller than my last one.

This kind of stuff only happens to me, I mean really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home